[lit-ideas] Re: Motive, and the quality of foreign policy

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 08:07:38 -0700

Omar,

You wrote below ". . .and often brutal or deceptive but still more
reasonable than what I suspect Lawrence and Eric would propose today."

Why do you need to suspect what I would propose today when I have actually
stated it in a note posted under the subject title and one responding to a
review Eric posted?  Furthermore I have said any number of times that I am
supportive of the diplomatic attempts by several nations to 1) stop Iran
from developing nuclear weapons or 2) allow inspectors to verify that Iran
isn't developing nuclear weapons.  In drawing attention to the proximity of
the normalization of relations with Libya to the Ahmadinejad letter, I
argued that this could plausibly be shown to be a Realistic (as in
Morgenthau's definition of Political Realism) approach to the Iranian
problem.   I believe it can be seen from my language that I approved of this
approach (assuming an association between Libyan normalization and diplomacy
with Iran).

Lawrence