[lit-ideas] Re: Motive, and the quality of foreign policy

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 08:56:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Furthermore I have said any
> number of times that I am
> supportive of the diplomatic attempts by several
> nations to 1) stop Iran
> from developing nuclear weapons

*I was thinking that 1) the "diplomatic attempts"
might include direct and high-level talks with the US
as well. 2) They might include some substantial offers
in the area of diplomatic relations, economic
co-operation etc. 3) The option of allowing Iran to
develop nuclear weapons, if it wishes and has an
ability to do so, does not have to be rejected a
priori and at all costs.

SInce you do not indicate being supportive or even
tolerant of any of these ideas, I think that I will
continue to view you as being pro-war. I also think
that some (though by no means all) of the US policy in
the past has been wiser than that. After all, the US
did not launch pre-eventive nuclear attacks on the
USSR or PR China to prevent them from developing
nuclear weapons.

 In drawing
> attention to the proximity of
> the normalization of relations with Libya to the
> Ahmadinejad letter, I
> argued that this could plausibly be shown to be a
> Realistic (as in
> Morgenthau's definition of Political Realism)
> approach to the Iranian
> problem.   I believe it can be seen from my language
> that I approved of this
> approach (assuming an association between Libyan
> normalization and diplomacy
> with Iran).

*So if Iran would agree to suspend uranium enrichment,
and to stay away from Israel, we wouldn't be hearing
about its human rights violations etc. ? I approciate
the honesty but I think that we need an approach that
is more comprehensive and imaginative, not just
realistic. You are right though that your approach is
probably in line with much (but not all)of the US Cold
War policy.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com