[lit-ideas] Re: Moderate Muslims

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 22:27:49 +0100

"Simon's polling information, which I haven't yet looked at,
doesn't seem to directly address this issue [the relative silence of moderates]. It identifies some self-identified moderate Muslim opinion in Britain, but
doesn't indicate to what extent that data is reliable."

I included these polls to establish some quanitifiable statements about the extent of moderates amongst British Muslims. Though these polls suggest what muslims feel to be the reasons for terrorism (in particular the July bombings in London), they don't and can't deal with the reasons why specific moderates might make the journey into extremism. Those specifics can only come from statements made by extremists, which is why I thought that the 'martyrdom videos' were good evidence.

What the polls do achieve, in my opinion, is to put the lie to the scare-mongering labelled, among other things, Londinistan. That 94 per cent of respondents disagreed that muslims should live seperately from non-muslims is quite illuminating and there are other stats that do just as good a job. And this is why these Islamophobic statements from western commentators make me annoyed, thay seem to deal in mythologies and urban legends rather than secure statistics.

Eric includes quotes saying that (to choose one): "...a terrifying number of
the world's Muslims now view all political and moral questions in terms of their affiliation with Islam."

Yet in the main, this only applies to vocal extremists rather than the moderate majority. And this is another source of annoyance. British Muslims weren't pleased at the Danish Cartoons, the polls confirm that, yet the numbers of protesters in Britain may not have exceeded a hundred. Of course, it was these people who appeared on TV, not the vast majority sitting at home shaking their heads. How many fundamentlist christians demonstrate in America when things in the world annoy them?

As regards the MCB, I'm not surprised that it has connections with more extreme elements of Islam, but far more important is that it operates within the constraints of the British Political System. It has, I would suggest, stronger connections with the British Foreign Office and with Govt in general. If this wasn't the case, it would be of greater concern.

Simon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>