[lit-ideas] Re: Meta-Philosophy

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:50:23 EDT

Donal McEvoy spots a regressus ad infinitum (if not a _reductio ad
absurdum_) in claims like Geary's, trying to delimitate what philosophy is
(from  what
philosophy is not):

>Mere description of
>[philosophers] cannot work because we  would
>have to select who we should regard
>as [philosophers] and  select which of their
>activities are [philosophy]-related (their
>toilet habits might have no bearing on
>whether or not they are  [philosophers]).

Plus,

>'Meta-philosophy' has a somewhat pretentious title.

And then there's meta-meta-philosophy. No entry or quotation for it in the
OED, or for any other meta-meta, other than 'meta-meta-language'. Below.
Cheers,

JL

    Pretend pretension

quotes for

'meta-meta-language'

1945 Mind 54 217

To express what a set of  symbols means.., a..second such set or
meta~language that speaks about them  and about what they speak about is
required. â??

â??Chienâ?? bedeutet Hundâ??

-- for instance, is such a metastatement,  where (part of) French serves as
the first..language, (part of) German as the  second. But what if we do not
understand German? Then a third, or  meta-metalanguage, say English, is needed.

1957 N. Chomsky  Syntactic Struct. vi. 54

Linguistic theory will thus be  formulated in a metalanguage to the language
in which grammars are  Linguisa metametalanguage to any language for  which a
grammar is constructed.

1976 Contemp. Sociol. 5 520/2

To separate statements in the  object language from those in the
meta-language, the meta-meta-language, and so  on.

1990 Mind 99 209

One idea would be to repeat for  the meta-language the account of NEGATION in
terms of joining and  separating. But this is pointless since the problem
will then recur in the  meta-meta-language.