[lit-ideas] Re: Max Boot

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 12:32:12 -0800

From: "joerg benesch" <jgruel@xxxxxxxxxx>

My point was not geopolitics, I siimply wanted to know whether you (Eric) really backed the large-scale atrocities committed in your name; you resort to silly jokes. I have to take it as it is: over here, someone with your "world-view" would easily qualify as a neo-Nazi, and be banned from public life: that's not a "clash of cultures", it's just drawing the line between civilisation and barbarianism.

Joerg,

That's one of the odd features of American public life that stands out. Here in the US, one can say utterly barbaric things and everyone will smile politely. Nobody seems to take words seriously. Maybe it's too much liberal tolerance.

You can see this on the list: Lawrence and Eric talk ceaselessly in public about massive murder, and hardly anyone says anything. These two think they are normal. More than that, they think everyone else is weak because the others don't support their wish for mass killing.

I've never seen this on any other list. Nowhere have I ever met people like Eric and Lawrence who want to kill so much. I grew up in Tennessee, where I knew many people who were in the Ku-Klux-Klan. Not even they talked about race murder as much as Lawrence and Eric. Beat up a few darkies, yes, but that was just talk. They certainly didn't dare to talk about it in public, as Lawrence and Eric do.

You're right, in Europe, such people would be banned from public life. Others would tell them to act reasonable, to stop the talk of killing. Lawrence and Eric would feel pressure from society to behave in a civilized manner. But not in the USA.

I wish I could say to everyone here who isn't American that Lawrence and Eric don't represent the USA. I wish I could say that decent Americans distance themselves from these two. But everyone outside the USA can see that this wouldn't be true. Lawrence and Eric actually do represent the USA, both in foreign and domestic matters. Everyone outside the USA can see how the Bush White House dealt with the Arabs in Iraq and the Blacks in New Orleans.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com