[lit-ideas] Re: Making sense of the TLP?

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:47:58 -0500

Donal McEvoy wrote:

"you had failed to provide a quotation in the text where W explicitly
states that "'elements' contribute nothing to the 'sense'of a picture"

As far as I know, this quote does not appear anywhere in the TLP.  I
never claimed Wittgenstein wrote these particular words.  I did
however claim that this reflects an argument in the TLP, and on
several occasions gave arguments in support of my claim.  I am afraid
the best I can do is offer interpretations supported by arguments.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Yogyakarta, Indonesia