[lit-ideas] Re: Making sense of the TLP?

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:22:42 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Sat, 20/12/08, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>

> "What is not contained in these quotations is any
> explicit statement
> that shows that, for W, 'elements' contribute
> nothing to the 'sense'
> of a picture"
>
> My goal is not to convince Donal but rather to show the
> reasoning for
> my argument.

Ah! And I thought my point above was not "merely" that you had failed to
convince me but that you had failed to provide a quotation in the text where W
explicitly states that "'elements' contribute nothing to the 'sense'of a
picture" (with the by-product perhaps being that I remain unpersuaded - but of
course this is secondary to the point). Hoping to do you the courtesy of a more
detailed response but meantime noting that, on a cursory glance, no such
explicit statement as asked for is given. Perhaps you might have made clear in
this lenghthy post whether in your view there is such an explicit statement
somewhere by W, or whether the 'exegesis' offered is simply interpretation, and
your view of how contestable that interpretation is etc.?

Given the above it might be understood why I might pass by the following
irrelevant and misleading Aunt-Sallying comments in dignified silence.

>If Donal disagrees that the texts I provide
> lead to the
> conclusions I draw, that is fine.  However, merely stating
> that he is
> not convinced is insufficient, since his being convinced is
> not the
> point.  This is doubly so since my argument is in response
> to his
> initial post.  What I would like to see from Donal is
> textual support
> for his initial argument.  I would be interested to see
> Donal defend
> his own argument, since I assume this space is about the
> interaction
> of ideas rather than convincing Donal.

Donal
Must dash