[lit-ideas] Re: Kyphoplasty For Julie's Mom

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:06:33 +0000

www.urmc.rochester.edu/smd/Rad/vplasty.htm

says it definitely isn't for slipped (herniated) disks.  The piece I
posted before is from the Mayo Clinic, it says so by implication;
I misread it, sorry.

Ordinary X-rays can show some disk problems (more precisely perhaps,
vertebral problems related to them), but MRIs can be more appropriate.
My first slipped disks were diagnosed by symptoms alone but theb they
responded to the treatment (first by manipulation: the GP I saw was
also an osteopath or chiropractor, I'm not sure which, next simply by
pain-killers and time... ).   The reason for suggesting an op is I
imagine the length of time your mother's had the disk problem in
acute form (if it is a disk problem, I'd be interested to know how
they did diagnose it).

Eric, thanks for finding that piece.

Saturday, February 12, 2005, 11:12:38 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

RP> [Sorry about the misfire.]

>>...from what I can understand of it they simply don't address the kyphoplasty
RP> treatment in relation to herniated discs.<

RP> I wouldn't think it would be an appropriate treatment for a herniated disc.
From

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx