[lit-ideas] Re: Kyphoplasty For Julie's Mom

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 12 Feb 2005 15:12:38 PST

[Sorry about the misfire.]

>...from what I can understand of it they simply don't address the  kyphoplasty
treatment in relation to herniated discs.<

I wouldn't think it would be an appropriate treatment for a herniated disc. From
what I understand of it, this treatment 'fills in' a degenerated region of the
spine; a herniated (ruptured, 'slipped') disc is a problem if a portion of the
ruptured disc presses on a nerve in the spinal column, usually in the lumbar
region or the neck. This pressure is what causes pain. (It's possible to have a
mlldly herniated disc and not know it, i.e., not feel anything.) Of course there
are various degrees of extrusion from the disc. But even though kyphoplasty
stabilizes some region of the spine it would (I think) leave the protruding disc
protruding and putting, in this case painful, pressure on a spinal nerve.

This should not be taken for medical advice.

Robert Paul
Reed College