[lit-ideas] Re: Ken Lay's ascension -- can this be for real???

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 09:59:06 -0400

Exactly.  That's what scares me when people say it can't happen here.  Lay,
et al. were prosecuted, but only because it was so extremely flagrant.
Most big business/government collaboration is under the radar, like the
looting of Medicare and of the treasury generally by the ultra wealthy, the
ownership of Congress by lobbyists.  Enron wasn't even a collaboration,
just a looking the other way.  Big business writes a lot of the legislation
that pertains to it.  Congress and industry have morphed into an almost
seamless entity.  By the people, for the people is just something quaint
someone said once upon a time.

A while back I read a really good book on politics/business during the Cold
War including  the oil crisis in the 1970's.  It's called Dossier: The
Secret History of Armand Hammer (Jay Epstein).  Probably not real typical
since it was the Cold War, but on the other hand Islamists are avowed
enemies too and their governments have the oil, so thing don't change too
much except in the details.  I didn't want that book to end.