[lit-ideas] Re: Just a cigar?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 13:51:12 -0400

Okay, so why this movie and why now?  Is there precedent?  If you are of
the persuasion that life happens in a vacuum, that things just pop up on
their own, then that will settle the issue.

For David Ritchie, I like the explanation, sort of a 1970's reverse
snobbery.  Usually the lower classes emulate the upper (sumptuary laws for
example).  I wonder if in fact the upper classes picking up linguistic
mannerisms (a linguistic mannerism) of the lower classes is one more way in
which the end of the 19th century paralleled the changes of a century
latter.  I wonder too if that doesn't mark the end of the beginning of the
way we live now?  WWI is generally credited with destroying the old order,
but the Industrial Revolution had been in full swing for a while to that
point.  Too much sitting on one little word?