[lit-ideas] Re: JOE THE PLUMBER

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 13:56:10 -0500

JK:
>>Otoh, I have managed to deal with some electrical issues w/out killing
>>myself, mostly because I approach the inscrutable, ineffable, unknowable
>>magic of electricity with gut feelings, intuitions, and prayers.<<

Of all the trades I ply, I enjoy electrical work most because it's the cleanest
and the least odoriferous.  A couple of weeks ago though, I got popped.  First
time in probably 5 years.  Always such a surprise.  Wow!  It was really dumb of
me.  In Midtown Memphis most of the houses were built in the 1920's and use the
old knob and tube wiring where the "hot" wire and the "neutral" wire are run
separately and both are covered in black insulation so that one can't tell
which is which visually -- too often the neutral wire was run to the switch --
a no-no -- so that turning off the switch, while it turns off the light or fan
or whatever, doesn't disconnect the electricity to the appliance that one is
working on.  Thus someone -- a fool such as I for example -- might blithely
grab hold of wire thinking the world is a good and safe place.  Whappo!!!  Holy
Shit!  Stupid ass!  You didn't check for voltage.  Rule #1:  Always check for
voltage.   Rule #2: Make sure your meter is working.  Rule #3:  Check for
voltage again.

When it comes to cleaning ducts, I'm on the fence.  I've peered into some ducts
that I thought looked like Church ("Save the Children from Witchcraft")
sponsored Halloween Houses (and recently at a lot of the bars I go into) with
the thick drooping "spider webs" everywhere.  Still, I've never recommended
cleaning ducts to any of my customers.  I've had customers who did it on their
own complain that it cost a bundle and made no appreciable difference.  But I
honestly don't know.  Obstruction of airflow definitely makes a difference in
the efficiency of a cooling/heating system.   Industry magazines push IAQ
service -- (Indoor Air Quality) as a money maker.  Anti-mold measures is
another.  I'm personally rather ludditely skeptical of the efficacy of most of
these "movements", but I readily admit that molds can present a real health
hazard to sensitive individuals, and that ducts encrusted with stalactites of
dungeony dust may well aggravate allergies in sensitive people.  But if you're
a real cowboy, you suck it up and get back on your horse.

Mike Geary
Memphis