[lit-ideas] Re: JOE THE PLUMBER

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 17:44:47 -0400

I had a man out Friday morning to fix my (very aged) stove. My husband and my son took out an oven element that had a hot spot and went to buy a new element. In the meantime, I took the opportunity to wash the stove and walls which are not acessible except in such circumstances. That should have been enough, but I battled on, cleaning the inside of the oven and the top panel with the knobs...be still my heart. When the new element was installed, nothing worked except the stove top. Neither the broiler nor the bottom element nor the light indicating they were working came on. Next morning, repairman comes...8:15...works for a bit when suddenly I remember an incident twenty years before when I had twiddled the knobs (in a similar cleaning frenzy) of the pre-set (come on at four o'clock so dinner is ready at six o'clock) feature. Seventy dollars later, that's all it was. Sheesh. I never used this pre-set feature. Who in their right mind would want a stove to come on in an empty house? I don't even leave my dryer on when I go out...

Ursula,   poorer but no wiser...

MG wrote:

Of all the trades I ply, I enjoy electrical work most because it's the
cleanest and the least odoriferous.