[lit-ideas] Re: Iran (1), The Revolutionary Imperative

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 23:13:53 -0800

You've got a "balanced" book on Iran?  Give me the title.  I'm always in the
market for a good book on a subject I'm interested in.  I've read a fair
amount about Iran but plan to read more before whatever is going to happen
happens.

However I'm not interested in the Cold War at the present time.  I have been
in the past, but not at present; so I don't really care what the CIA did in
Iran before Khomeini -- just as I don't care about the KGB sponsoring
terrorism in that region during the Cold War.  I have heard though that
there is a large group of former students that wish they had the Shah back.
Reports I've read and heard indicate that there is a sizeable pro-American
element in Iran and the administration and others have hoped (vainly) that
they would overthrow the Imams.

You say Ilan Berman is a Neocon.  Did you look him up?  I don't really know
very much about him, just what I read in a few reviews and on the jacket.  I
would be surprised to learn he is a Neocon.  The Neocons have written very
little.  Also, very few would claim the term.  It seems to include a policy
of exporting Liberal-Democracy, but it can be argued that exportation was
not the prime reason for regime change in either Afghanistan or Iraq.
Perhaps Bush would have followed the advice of those who thought a benign
dictatorship most appropriate for the region if not for the Neocon idea of
exporting democracy, but in the days since Bush took office I have found
very few books that could be termed Neocon.

I think you are wrong about Khomeini being influenced by Communist tactics.
He and Sayyid Qutb were both influenced by Stalinism.  Qutb said as much in
his writings but Khomeini implied that he originated almost everything on
his own with no help from anyone but Allah. Nevertheless we see Communist
terminology in his writings and Communist tactics being applied through
Hezbollah.

Lawrence