[lit-ideas] Re: How to Draw a Crowd

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:11:06 -0500

>>For the record I agree that economic inequality is the real issue, but I'd also note that racial inequality is, for the most part, expressed as an economic disparity.

US blacks have a disproportionate poverty and prison level, but also have a middle class that, as a percentage, is equal to whites. If you mean that the two disproportionate statistics are the cultural heritage of black slavery, repression, and the unintended consequence of some programs designed to help this group (such as welfare systems that at one time unintentionally encouraged the breakup of black families), I agree. If you mean that they are, right now, the result of deliberate and systematic racist repression, I disagree.