[lit-ideas] Re: How to Draw a Crowd

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:01:50 -0600

EY:
*Maintain the integrity of the subgroup. If your subgroup of, say, Filipino-Americans is resisting their Filipino-American identity and they increasingly prefer to think of themselves as just plain Americans, it's important to identify (or manufacture) instances around which the Filipino-American "community" can unite.

Yes, it's disgusting the way those Filipino-Americans allow themselves to be led out of the Garden of Paradise into the vale of ressentiment. But if people are willing to be convinced that they are not flourishing, their contentment to the contrary, then what can you do? Those wily Filipino-American leaders lead their people from demand to demand like shyster shepherds, demanding they all flock together or wander lost forever on a cattle farm.

Compared to Eric, I suspect that I have a lot less estimation of people's selflessness. It's damn hard to get people with real grievances to get out of their easy chair and petition their leaders, much less convince people who are happy with their social situation to take up arms. "I've got mine, everything's fine" seems to be a transcendent political maxim. So if they are a people in the streets, they probably really feel aggrieved (at least a little) and aren't there out of school spirit.

As far as rabble rousing goes, well, outside agitators know that in a democracy numbers matter. Rouse ye up, you Rabble. To the barricades! Biggest crowd wins! Are all the Rabble Rousers honorable men? I suspect about as honorable as any klatch of priests, police, professors, poets or politicians. Tits on a bull until bollocks are needed then they're very useful.

I agree with everyone so far, today economic disparity is the number one issue. Racial discrimination in the past (recent past at that) is largely responsible for the economic disparity between the races, and class prejudice is largely responsible for intra-racial economic disparity. Class still plays are large role in the growing economic disparity. Class prejudice that vehemently defends an economic system that rewards the least needy the most. I would tell you how to solve this problem, but you'd have to kill me then.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>