[lit-ideas] Re: How are things in Paris?

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:55:16 -0800

Any word from Mike Chase? I read there were fires in the Place de la Republique in Paris.

So, is Mike barricaded in his room, hiding from marauding youths?

Or is Mike out there, astride a barricade, leading the youths?

300 cities, thousands of cars now. Quite a week.

To me, it makes me think of '89 (and of course, '68); whether 89 could happen again, whether this could trigger more riots.

France has led the world on so many things, but not in this one. The riots in France aren't going anywhere; it's just angry kids. There's no leadership, no political demands or statements. Just venting the power of their youth. It'll blow over when they get tired; the politicians will make a few statements and promise some social projects and jobs-creation reforms; journalists will write essays. In three months, nobody will remember.

Very good article about the riots in France: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/focus/story/0,6903,1635373,00.html

Interesting that no one has called them al Qaeda sleeper cells or tied this to Iraq. White House staffers have kept the idiot from making any statements about France or terrorism, which would only inflame things.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com