[lit-ideas] Re: Hitler/Stalin - Stewart/Colbert Tag Team

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 00:55:50 -0500

The problem is more than political. It's the reinforcement of nihilism, of irony-as-worldview with no positive counterargument.

How is it nihilism??? I'd say they exact opposite. Irony is positive, it sees the way. Preaches it backhandedly. Rhetoric need not be preachy.

Comedy Central's main demographic audience, unlike Veronica, has no understanding of any social, political, or economic issues.

I agree with Robert Paul. The audiences of Stewart and Colbert have to be familiar with the issues to discern the humor in their presentation. Why Eric assumes the audiences are stupid escapes me.

The conservative gasbags rely on outright verbal persuasion.

Interesting take on the gasbags and their audience. I'm of the opinion that no one listens to the gasbags who isn't already chained to their opinions. There's no persuasion, just shouts of Amen! As you should well know by now, I'm a thorough going believer in prejudice. None of us believes what we believe through reasoned discourse, but only through what our parents taught us and if we loved our parents we know that's the truth, if not, we find some other dogma to spite them. I sound a bit like Irene here, I know.

TV politicomedy disguised as news, on the other hand, bypasses the critical faculties. A good joke, even if laden with faulty argument and slander, is accepted as entertainment.

"Disguised as news?" Do you honestly think that the Colbert and Stewart audiences are taken in, not knowing that the shows are satire??? Wow!

ironic nihilism only plays in favor of the ruling elite, whatever their politics or agenda for the rest of us.

This statement completely eludes me. If anything ironic nihilism would favor anarchism, never the ruling elite.

Well, that's my take on it anyway,
Mike Geary
Memphis
where politics is way beyond irony