[lit-ideas] Eric Yost Escapes From Geary

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:35:12 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, Aug 17, 2009 2:55 am

Why
Eric assumes the audiences are stupid escapes me.

---

The obvious answer is that Yost can tell a stupid from his elbow. Now, for the item, "escapes" me. What does it mean? In the romance languages, we do use it (e.g. "se me escapo" -- it escaped me. But this usually means a rat).

The implicature by Geary seems to be:

The reason why Eric assumes that all audiences are regardless of sex, cultural background, or racial considerations, stupid, escapes MY LOGIC, and thus Eric must be wrong. For if something escapes me (a rat, etc.) it´s either because the rat is too witty, or as in this case, that there is NO REASON why audiences should be all stupid.

Audiences ARE stupid. In Etymology, To Audit, audience, is to HEAR. Yet, any opera frequenter will note that: THEY also see, and shout BRAVA. Spectator is a better word. Only radio programmers are audiences in the strict sense, and THEY ARE stupid. Edison, the inventor of the radio, WAS stupid.

Cheers,

JL Speranza
Buenos Aires, Argentina