[lit-ideas] Hitler/Stalin - Stewart/Colbert Tag Team

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 16:39:47 -0400

"Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert"

A few friends also rely on Comedy Central for news. I don't know what to say to them about it, so I change the subject when those guys come up. Here, I can vent.

Can't anyone see that something is terribly wrong with the popularity of Stewart and Colbert? Maybe imagining them as right-wing comics would help. Maybe not. The problem is more than political. It's the reinforcement of nihilism, of irony-as-worldview with no positive counterargument.

Comedy Central's main demographic audience, unlike Veronica, has no understanding of any social, political, or economic issues. Instead they receive biases wrapped in jokes. The indoctrination is subliminal. Comedy substituting for reading.

What about Limbaugh and the rest of the talk radio people? The conservative gasbags rely on outright verbal persuasion. A listener can accept or reject faulty arguments and slander using the critical thought available to them. It's in-your-face politics, take it or leave it.

TV politicomedy disguised as news, on the other hand, bypasses the critical faculties. A good joke, even if laden with faulty argument and slander, is accepted as entertainment. Goes straight to the funny bone. "It's just a joke. Lighten up." Hitler/Stalin could only dream about such plausible deniability; lacking it, they had their secret police and prison networks.

Sure I'm making too much of it ("It's just a joke. Lighten up.") but ironic nihilism only plays in favor of the ruling elite, whatever their politics or agenda for the rest of us.

Off my rocker,
Bonzo