[lit-ideas] Re: Hezbollah (cont'd)

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:51:34 -0400

Andreas asks:

"According to polls in Lebanon, 90% of Lebanese, incl. Christian Lebanese, consider Hezbollah
to be a resistance force and they approve and support it.

Stan, just exactly what entitles you to say that your opinion supercedes the population of
Lebanon?"

-----
Andreas, it's not my opinion that counts here. Citing a statistic like yours makes me wonder, if true, whether the Lebanese who are cited are aware of Hezbollah as an arm of Syria and Iran. Are they aware that Hezbollah, in other words, represents a foreign agenda, not a Lebanese one? I remember hearing Walid Jumblatt and other Parliamentarians ask what gave a party (Hezbollah) the right to commit the country to war, with all its attendant costs.

Hezbollah, until now, has branded itself a protector of the Lebanese people, not the agent of a foreign agenda. That self-image is no longer tenable. Many Arab (and non-Arab) observers see an Iranian hand guiding Hezbollah.

Isn't it interesting, they ask, that Hezbollah's attacks coincided exactly with the deadline the European Union set for Iranian's to respond to its proposed nuclear deal? What better way to show that Iran can make life difficult for those who pressure it than to create a broad crisis in the region?

Are the Lebanese who support Hezbollah aware that Hezbollah doesn't support the Lebanese in this war?
Even the UN's humanitarian chief, Jan Egeland, said: "Hezbollah must stop this cowardly blending... among women and children. I heard they were proud because they lost very few fighters and that it was the civilians bearing the brunt of this."

Ynet News reports that Hezbollah is trying to maximize Lebanese civilian deaths, presumably for its own propaganda purposes: Roadblocks have been set up outside some villages to prevent residents from leaving.

When the Lebanese discover Hezbollah was a Trojan Horse, will they continue supporting it?

Stan Spiegel

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Suddenly Hezbollah has become a resistance force?

According to polls in Lebanon, 90% of Lebanese, incl. Christian Lebanese, consider Hezbollah to be a resistance force and they approve and support it.

Stan, just exactly what entitles you to say that your opinion supercedes the population of Lebanon?

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com