[lit-ideas] Re: Hezbollah (cont'd)

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:31:41 -0400

Omar writes: "It is true that it doesn't seem to have gotten to building bomb shelters yet, maybe because it was busy bulding hospitals, schools etc. That probably justifies the recent airstrike in which 56 Lebanese civilians were deliberately killed, most of them children."

I don't think Hezbollah has not gotten to building bomb shelters. They've chosen not to. As long as they use children and women as human shields to stand behind and fire their rockets from, it's in their self-interest to have civilians out there unprotected so Israel can look bad. As a strategist, Hezbollah uses civilians in order to make Israel's response look like a lunatic response.

Listening to you, Omar, writing about Hezbollah winning back South Lebanon is nonsense. Hezbollah won back Southern Lebanon the same way that Hamas won back Gaza. Fact is Sharon simply left. Sharon's decision to pull out of Gaza unilaterally -- without asking for anything in return -- was a mistake. He removed every vestige of Israeli presence and returned Gaza to the Palestinians, something Palestinians have claimed they wanted. Instead of capitalizing on that, Hamas took it as a sign of weakness. It wasn't. (Why Sharon behaved that way is still a mystery to me.)

He behaved the same way in Southern Lebanon. Giving the area back unilaterally. Asking for nothing in return. Giving land in return for peace doesn't work.

Charles Schumer, Sen. from NY, recounted an anecdote this morning to Wolf Blitzer on CNN about an Hezbollah member who barged into the backyard of his neighbor to shoot off his arm-held rocket. Then he went back to his own home next door. That put his neighbor's family and home in danger, not his own.

Thinking of Hezbollah as an organization who cares for the Lebanese is a mistake. Offering social services to Lebanese is simply a manipulation to make themselves look like they care and make Lebanese trust them. They've used and abused that trust by building tunnels and storing their rockets under the homes in villages all over Southern Lebanon. Villagers trust them and listen to them. It's as clear to you as it is to me that when Hezbollah fire rockets into Northern Israel, that the IDF will reciprocate, tracing where the rockets are coming from and pounding that area to smithereens.

Qana was a source of a lot of rocketfire. Qana was pounded to smithereens. That's what Hezbollah wanted. It killed two birds with one stone: assaulting Israel and getting Israel to return fire so that they look like the bad guys.

Who really made sure that Qana was pounded to smithereens? Wasnt that Hezbollah, after all. Hezbollah was willing to sacrifice the lives of all those women and children who stayed behind to hide in a basement or two of a building that was the center of rocketfire. The IDF dropped flyers all over the place -- sacrificing any surprise attacks -- to warn the residents to get out of there.

This whole war leaves me heart-sick. I could never be a general. But listening to Omar's lies and obfuscations about Hezbollah (they're really good guys, not a terrorist group) makes me think: Hey, this guy really knows how to misrepresent. He'd be a good Hezbollah general. If I lived in Qana, I might just listen to him, God help me.

Stan Spiegel

----- Original Message ----- From: "Omar Kusturica" <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>