[lit-ideas] Re: Hezbollah (cont'd)

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:29:25 -0400

Stan Spiegel wrote:

Charles Schumer, Sen. from NY, recounted an anecdote this morning to Wolf Blitzer on CNN about an Hezbollah member who barged into the backyard of his neighbor to shoot off his arm-held rocket. Then he went back to his own home next door. That put his neighbor's family and home in danger, not his own.

Excuse me, Stan, but this is absurd -- both on the face of it and in relation to your other comments. This is so obviously a usefully fabricated little story. If it had been the next town he'd fired from, I might not have noticed it -- but his neighbour's yard? And his yard was safe? If the IDF were that careful about where their bombs landed the four UN peacekeepers would be alive and the 60+ people (including at least 37 children asleep in their beds) killed this morning would be alive now.

As for your constant repetition about Hezbollah hiding among villagers, isn't that what reseistance forces always do? Isn't it what they have to do? The French Resistance and the Polish Resistance used exactly the same tactics -- attacking when they could and melting back into the population. When the population was then collectively punished, did anyone think that the suffering of the innocent pleased the resistance because the reprisals made the Germans look bad?

This war leaves us all heartsick. I'm just additionally saddened that a people who have suffered as much as the Jews could so blithely discount the suffering of other innocents.

Ursula in North Bay