[lit-ideas] Re: Happy Days in Oxford & London

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:54:28 -0700

Walter wrote asking for pub and hotel recommendations for his scholarly trip to London and Oxford.

The Bear, as Ursula says, might be an interesting stop.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/18/1823/Bear/Oxford

I?d recommend The Turf over it, perhaps, but as Irene says, beer is in the eye of the beholder, even if it got there by mistake.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/40/406/Turf_Tavern/Oxford

The best thing to do would be to go to the Faculty of Philosophy Centre at 10 Merton Street, introduce yourself (be sure to mention you?re from Newfoundland so they don?t think you?re Australian), and ask for directions. Someone may even volunteer to escort you.

http://www.philosophy.ox.ac.uk/

Many favourite ?traditional? pubs in Great Britain have been bought by chains long since and are full of tourists and families with screaming children, although often these groups are coextensive.

In London, the Mentone Hotel ?gives good value,? as we say. It isn?t in Soho, but it?s close to Russell Square, and the British Musem and the British Library (where you said you?d be spending most of your time) are both within walking distance.

http://www.mentonehotel.com/

I?d ask Judy, Simon, and David Ritchie about this before if I were you. (What a concept.)

Robert Paul
Director of Overseas Studies
Mutton College
mutton.edu