[lit-ideas] Re: Happy Days in Oxford & London

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:17:45 -0500

Wow! Gilbert Ryle. Surely there's an anecdote there. I was in Oxford originally about 12 years ago and it was very old indeed. Everything was dark, all the ceilings were low, all the walls were wavy somehow. You had to travers three rooms to get to the bar. The bathrooms were outside across a little alley. I loved it. The new Turf was nice, too. But only that. Ursula

PS: my math daughter has a little summer post-doc at Microsoft. If I can find a conference in that neck of the woods, I may fly across the country. When she's busy, perhaps I'll take the liberty of saying hello.
My memory is from over 30 years ago, when the floors were still unvarnished and the walls were stained from the smoke of the ages. I was introduced to The Turf by--name-drop warning--Gilbert Ryle. We sat outside, drank pints of bitter, and ate cheese sandwiches. It's often risky to go back.

Robert Paul