[lit-ideas] Re: Happy Days in Oxford & London

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:49:07 -0700

I recommend that you spend four bucks on books (plus postage) as follows:

The sight I most want to see in Oxford, and have not yet seen, is to be found on the cover of Benedict Le Vay's, "Eccentric Britain," first edition, which came out in 2000. Go see it *before* you go on a pub crawl is my advice.

CAMRA puts out annual guides to good pubs--CAMRA is a sort of an acronym for Campaign for Real Ale. They know their stuff.

The Time Out Guide to cheap eats in London is good.

Finally Rick Steve's guide to London is probably expensive in its current edition, but his advice on accommodation changes only slowly, so the one buck edition is probably good enough.

I've checked and each of my recommendations is currently available on AbeBooks at prices reported.

If CAMRA fails to mention The Cheshire Cheese, off Fleet Street, you should go anyway, if for no other reason than to see where Samuel Johnson compiled his dictionary. Look for the little blue plaque on a house in the alley.

Reports of what damage corporations have done to pubs are not exaggerated, but there are still good ones to be found.

Happy travels.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon