[lit-ideas] Re: Happy Days in Oxford & London

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:45:12 -0700

Wow!   Gilbert Ryle. Surely there's an anecdote there.

Some. Later though. I said that Ryle and I sat outside drinking pints of
bitter. Half pints that would be. I never learned to say 'half,' as in 'two
halfs of Guinness.' The best I could do was a muttered 'hoff.'

...my math daughter has a little summer post-doc at Microsoft.  If I
can find a conference in that neck of the woods, I may fly across the
country.  When she's busy, perhaps I'll take the liberty of saying
hello.

That would be great. Try to avoid June, though. It rains a lot here then.
As David says, once you've managed to get out of Seattle and past the first
hundred miles of gridlock on I-5, it's pretty straightforward; after you're
across the I-5 Bridge over the Columbia, that is. If you find yourself in
Redding, California, you've gone too far.

David Ritchie knows all the best pubs.

Robert Paul