[lit-ideas] Guess

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 07:18:28 -0800 (PST)

Some things one can never be too certain of.  I recently got another free
calendar, my fifth one, for 2012.  Needless to say, I know what day it is.  At
any rate, this calendar is of Norman Rockwell prints with quotations from
famous people (except two I never heard of).  I thought it would be fun to
match the quotations to their authors.  The authors are scrambled next the
quotes; the actual names are at the very end, but out of order.  I personally
would not have recognized the authors of the quotes had I not seen them.  I
wonder if anyone can do better than I did.  In the meantime, for anyone
wondering, today is, Sunday, February 5, 2012, yes that's correct, it's the
same on that one, and that one, and that one, and that one, and that one…

The backbone of surprise is fusing speed with secrecy. (lacr nvo laizuscetw)

A happy family is but an earlier heaven.  (oggeer nebdarr whsa)

Wherever there is a human being there is an opportunity for kindness.  (neceas)

The chief pleasure in eating does not consist in costly seasoning, or exquisite
flavor, but in yourself.  (aroche)

For I remember it is Easter morn, and life and love and peace are all new
born.  (ceial nerefam lraemp)

Nothing ever fatigues me, but doing what I do not like.  (aenj tanuse)

Believe you can and you're halfway there.  (otdhreoe lovroeets)

Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune
without words, and never stops at all.  (iyelm nicndiosk)

friendships are discovered rather than made.  (ritehra hebecre wtoes)

We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aid, but
by an infinite expectation of the dawn.  (reynh vddia uhoetar)

The principal part of faith is patience.  (rgoeeg aoddnalcm)

A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as
the body.  (nnaemibj rnanlfki)

Where we love is home, home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.
(lroiev leendlw lomesh)

Seneca
Theodore Roosevelt
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.