[lit-ideas] Re: Good Ole' Missouri

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:58:30 -0400

M posts take a long time to post sometimes.  I saw your response on the web
page.  Basically, my answer is that death is a pretty big qualifier.  Widows
and widowers were already once married, so presumably they'd want to be married
again to raise their children.  That's a relatively rare situation in any case.
 The problem is that people don't think children are a big deal outside of
being able to feed and clothe them, so they think nothing of having even
multiple children and the boyfriends move on, never even pay financial support.
 It happens less often higher up the food chain, but single parents are common
just about everywhere.  Anyway, it's clear that people think the life of the
new person they're bringing into the world is less important than their rights
to do as they please.