[lit-ideas] Re: Fw: Re: Disbelief

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:53:39 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Quoted from Time:
"A generation ago western civilization had apparently outgrown the major evils
of barbarism except for war between nations. The Russian Communist Revolution
promoted the evil of class war. Hitler topped it by another, race war. Fascism
and Communism both resurrected religious war. These multiple forms of barbarism
gave shape in 1938 to an issue over which men may again, perhaps soon, shed
blood: the issue of civilized liberty v. barbaric authoritarianism"

Sounds like history repeating itself today: Before Bush invaded Iraq in a
misguided response to 9/11, western civilization had indeed apparently outgrown
the major evils of barbarism except for war between nations.  Then, of course,
we invaded.  Christianity vs. Islam is also to some extent a race war of the
West against the Middle East and vice versa.  The impoverished Middle East is
not unlike Germany during its depression after WWI.

Telling too is that Bush's response to every catastrophe, most recently to
Mosul, is to pray.  The "God Bless America" that was filling the air after 9/11
is certainly a testimonial to God loving us best.  Yet in the catastrophe in
Iraq, or for that matter 9/11, no one notices that God just doesn't listen.
This is not an empty ranting against Bush.  It is instead evidence that the
only use we have for history is to justify going to war, again.

Andy Amago

http://www.time.com/time/subscriber/personoftheyear/archive/stories/1938.html