[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and the end of history

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:22:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- Andreas Ramos <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Lawrence, you've forgotten the book. I read it
> several weeks ago.
>
> Page references? It would quite a task. The book
> constantly attacks liberal democracy as a
> ploy of weaklings.

The last paragraph of F' "End of History ?" essay
reads:

The end of history will be a very sad time. The
struggle for recognition, the willingness to risk
one's life for a purely abstract goal, the worldwide
ideological struggle that called forth daring,
courage, imagination, and idealism, will be replaced
by economic calculation, the endless solving of
technical problems, environmental concerns, and the
satisfaction of sophisticated consumer demands. In the
post-historical period there will be neither art nor
philosophy, just the perpetual caretaking of the
museum of human history. I can feel in myself, and see
in others around me, a powerful nostalgia for the time
when history existed. Such nostalgia, in fact, will
continue to fuel competition and conflict even in the
post-historical world for some time to come. Even
though I recognize its inevitability, I have the most
ambivalent feelings for the civilization that has been
created in Europe since 1945, with its north Atlantic
and Asian offshoots. Perhaps this very prospect of
centuries of boredom at the end of history will serve
to get history started once again.

http://www.wesjones.com/eoh.htm

http://mail.yahoo.com