[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and the end of history

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:07:20 -0700

Omar,

The article you quote [http://www.wesjones.com/eoh.htm ] appeared in the
1989 issue of The National Interest.   About this article, Fukuyama writes
on page xii of his book, The End of History and the Last Man, 1992, "The
present book is not a restatement of my original article, nor is it an
effort to continue the discussion with the article's many critics and
commentators.  . . . While this book is informed by recent world events, its
subject returns to a very old question: Whether, at the end of the twentieth
century, it makes sense for us once again to speak of a coherent and
directional History of mankind that will eventually lead the greater part of
humanity to liberal democracy?  The answer I arrive at is yes . . ."

As to the article's paragraph you refer to, this was developed in The Last
Man portion of his book, Part V.   I don't recall Fukuyama doing as Andreas
suggests, "Constantly attacking liberal democracy as a ploy of weaklings."
I recall him being ambivalent about life where Nietzsche's "Last Man" has
prevailed much as the paragraph suggests.  I do not find Fukuyama wishing
for any alternative to Liberal Democracy.

Lawrence