[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and the end of history

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:35:11 -0700

Well, Andreas, your note is interesting.  Your take on Fukuyama is very
different from mine - and different I might add from others I've heard or
read comment upon Fukuyama.  Also, I've heard Fukuyama speak himself and
nothing I've heard him say would support your theory. My take is that he
does see Liberal Democracy as a good thing, but being careful describes its
as the form of society than which there is none better. After his article he
was accused of being a triumphalist, one who celebrated America's (Liberal
Democracy's) victory over the Soviet Union, the last serious threat on the
horizon.  He denied that and attempted to distance himself from that idea in
his book.

Yes, I know Fukuyama expresses his ambivalence in Section V of TEOH, but I
took issue with your saying that he criticized Liberal Democracy throughout
his book.  You ask that I look at the last line in Chapter 27.  It describes
what he is going to take up in Chapter 28.  I fail to see it as remarkable.

And Fukuyama did reject the Neocons.  Furthermore the Neocons have
reciprocated.  On page 7 of America at the Crossroads he writes "Whatever
its complex roots, neoconservatism has now become inevitably linked to
concepts like preemption, regime change, unilateralism, and benevolent
hegemony as put into practice by the Bush administration.  Rather than
attempting the feckless task of reclaiming the meaning of the term, it seems
to me better to abandon the label and articulate an altogether distinct
foreign policy position."  He then goes on to define his new position and
calls it "Realistic Wilsonianism" [see page 9]

Another way you can understand what Fukuyama is all about is to read his
arguments with Charles Krauthammer which have appeared in the journals.  No
one I recall has seen the irony you refer to - or perhaps I don't understand
what you mean by his irony.

Perhaps part of our problem, yours and mine, is that while you were studying
Hegel, I was studying Nietzsche.  No one embraces Nietzsche any more, but he
brought up some interesting issues that needed to be addressed and Fukuyama
addresses them.

Lawrence