[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and the end of history

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:51:24 -0700

From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

After I read The End of History I was so struck by it that I looked for
comments and reviews.  I recall a criticism or an elaboration that described
Fukuyama as not so much a Hegelian as a Kojevean.

This is correct. F discusses Kojeve, but then again, Kojeve was a commentator on Hegel.

Kojeve argued that it was time
to give Hegel his due and admit that he was right when he argued that
Capitalism, aka Liberal-Democracy, was the end of history.

Be careful. That sentence can mean two things. Liberal Democracy is the end of history, but... is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Most in the globalist West would say it's good.

F says it's bad. It's a period of meaningless dissipation, such as silly videos of Korean kids.

War will restore man to a state of dignity.

It's interesting that you think Fukuyama should have mentioned "Bultmann,
Bonheoffer, Brunner ,etc."  I heard Fukuyama on C-Span two or three times
over the years and my impression is that he's an atheist.

Of course he's an atheist. Why would he believe in slave morality? That's for losers.

My point is that F writes about ethics, but he hasn't gotten beyond the 1800s.

he presents Hegel's idea about human nature and I can't see that he
disapproves of it i.e., "that in his most essential characteristics man was
undetermined and therefore free to create his own nature."  [TEOH page 63]

Precisely. F is an idealist from the Enlightenment. He is discussin the Enlightenment.

Another thing: what does he mean by...

technology
capitalism
democracy

He use these terms in very complex ways.

F likes very much the idea of the Hegelian dialectic. He writes almost always in a very ironic style. He says something, and others may quote it and think F meant that, but F really meant the opposite. Fascinating writer.

Did you see the video with the two Korean kids

- andreas