[lit-ideas] Re: 'Eternal Sunshine' drug selectively erases memories

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:23:48 -0500

JK:
>>I hate to say it because cynic I am not (usually) -- but w/out your memories
>>you wouldn't know you lacked your memories.<<

Makes me think of "Blade Runner", of implanted memories to make the replicants
"real".  I rate "Blade Runner" as one of the very best movies I've seen, on a
par with "The Pawnbroker".  In "Blade Runner" the replicants come off as more
'human' than any of the humans.  God, I love it.

My problem is, of course, short-term memory.  Sometimes I think I'm living the
film "Memento" -- an OK film.  But so what?  We're all just trying to interpret
the experiences we can remember, which after a full day of
claptrapcluttermutter isn't much to work with.  Best to just let it all wash
out to sea.  Wait like the sand crabs for the tide to come in and see what it
brings this time.

The Greeks believed, or so I believe they believed, that one had to drink of
the river Lethe before entering the netherworld in order to forget their
previous existence.  That makes sense to me.  As a kid I used to wonder about
heaven and how I would feel about not having a body anymore.  I've always
thought my body was me.  I couldn't imagine me without it. What good is
existing without the senses?  God would have to wipe the slate clean or else
he'd have a lot of homesick souls moping about heaven all day.

My 2 cents.

Mike Geary
Memphis