[lit-ideas] Re: 'Eternal Sunshine' drug selectively erases memories

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 14:18:42 -0500

Another way of saying it ....  (occurred to me of course the moment I hit
"send") -- it seems intrinsically problematic to threaten someone with
something which they know they wouldn't be aware of if it were to happen
....  another movie springs to mind which I think came out about the same
time as Eternal Sunshine -- 50 First Dates.  My kids wanted to see it and I
expected it to be slapstick cave-man humour.  It turned out (in my viewing)
to be a surprisingly tender and thoughtful (though sometimes the cave-man
slapstick stuff did enter, but hey, they had to make a buck) piece on just
that .... awareness of one's life.  If you saw it, it might be fun to talk
about the gal's experience from her perspective.