[lit-ideas] Re: 'Eternal Sunshine' drug selectively erases memories

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 14:14:58 -0500

Re. the nomenclator, I second that emotion.

Re. the torture -- there's still something that's niggling at me as though
it's a logical fallacy -- if one is threatened with the erasure of one's
memory, and one realizes that w/ that erasure one would not be aware of the
erasure, does that not deflate the threat?

Btw -- I absolutely loved Eternal Sunshine...

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Torture isn't the point of the erasing in the article.  The point was to
> hide the crime by erasing all memory of it.
> I then wondered about the threat of erasing as a torture technique.
>
> Ursula,
> just now reading your CNN article about memory.
> My favourite part is the luxury of having a nomenclator to supply you with
> the names of people you meet...
>
> Julie Krueger wrote:
>
>> And how does that, then, make it "torture"?

Julie Krueger

Visit www.VoteForChange.com. Register to vote and help spread the word.