[lit-ideas] Re: Ernst Zuendel sentenced

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:44:14 EST

Calling all scientists who speak plain English....

Reading Ursula's post, I was curious to know what -39 C was in  Fahrenheit.
I went to my standard little conversion page and it told  me that -39 C is -38
F.  Knowing that couldn't possibly be correct, I used  another converter, and
then looked at a few different temperature scales.   All of them indicated
that below 0 C, the temp designations for  C & F are nearly identical.  So, I
thought to meself, I thought, I  will go learn about this odd phenomenon.
Googled.  Wikid (is that a  verb yet?  it surely will be).  Read pages about
the
history  of and the math of C & F.  Nowhere was I able to discern why the  two
temps are different above zero Centigrade but not below.   Anyone?!

Julie Krueger
at -8 F here.  I still don't know what that means,  though....

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Ernst Zuendel
sentenced  Date: 2/15/2007 8:05:43 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_Ursula@xxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This whole hate crime business leaves a bad taste  in the mouth though.
Why should it be a crime to say that the  holocaust did not happen?
Why not just ignore it?   Why not just  ridicule it?
How is a law against holocaust denial any different than  a law against
denying Mohammed?
What would we say if Muslim countries had  laws against crusade denial?

Unless someone is also inciting to crime,  which I don't think was proved
in Zuendel's Canadian case (but going by  memory here), I don't see that
the denial itself should be a criminal matter  at all.
Ursula
basking in the sun
(through double-glazed  windows -- baby it's cold outside --39 C w/wind
chill)