[lit-ideas] Ernst Zuendel sentenced

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:59:51 +0100

Members of this list will be undoubtedly interested (I deliberately use a rather 'neutral' term here - the reader may substitute others as s/he wishes) to learn that Ernst Zuendel has just been sentenced by a German court to a 5-year prison term (the stiifest possible sentence under current German law) for Holocaust denial.

For several years Zuendel spread the poison of his anti-Semitism and Holocaust denial in my native Canada and in the U.S. He was finally extradited from Canada to Germany in the Spring of 2005.

(Zuendel also co-authored a book which put forth the theory that supposed UFO's which people reported sighting were in fact secret nazi weapons emerging from a hollow earth through a hole somewhere in the Antarctic - perhaps the best illustration of the seriousness with which material put forth by supporters of Holocaust denial and revisionism should be taken. It is comforting to note that the ridiculous of the claims is in no way seen as mitigating the seriousness of the crime.)

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany