[lit-ideas] Re: Ernst Zuendel sentenced

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:09:00 -0600

I agree with you, Ursula. I've never understood the principle on which so many of the European countries enacted their holocaust denial or race hate speech laws. As loathsome as such speech is, unless it is incitement to violence, it seems to me preferable to allow it so that such thoughts can be countered with evidence than to push it underground. I have no problem, am supportive in fact of governmental programs furthering the rebuttal of such speech, but to criminalize the expression of any thought seems self-defeating for humankind. I tried to google up the history of holocaust denial laws, but had little luck. I did find an article in the Telegraph that the EU plans on a much more far reaching 'genocide denial' law: "The draft text states: "Each member state shall take the measures necessary to ensure that the following intentional conduct is punishable: 'publicly condoning, denying or grossly trivialising of crimes of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes as defined in'... the Statute of the ICC." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/02/weu02.xml

In that vein, I'm sure Kansas would like to make Genesis-denial a crime.

I'll try more diligently to dig out the history of genocide-denial laws later, I think they started in Austria in 1947, but what legal underpinnings were used to support it interests me. Perhaps one of the listers is familiar with his and can inform me. On what principle are such laws based?

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ursula Stange" <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>