[lit-ideas] Re: Ernst Zuendel sentenced

  • From: Erin Holder <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:27:54 -0500

Yeah, it's one of those days where I hope I get into one of those schools in California... Actually, it's not all that cold in TO right now (with the wind chill -23), but I'm sick of trudging through this slop! (city snow is rather disgusting).

Erin

Quoting Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>:

On 2/15/07, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx <JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Calling all scientists who speak plain English....

Reading Ursula's post, I was curious to know what -39 C was in
Fahrenheit.  I went to my standard little conversion page and it told me
that -39 C is -38 F.  Knowing that couldn't possibly be correct, I used
another converter, and then looked at a few different temperature scales.
All of them indicated that below 0 C, the temp designations for C & F are
nearly identical.  So, I thought to meself, I thought, I will go learn about
this odd phenomenon.  Googled.  Wikid (is that a verb yet?  it surely will
be).  Read pages about the history of and the math of C & F.  Nowhere was I
able to discern why the two temps are different above zero Centigrade but
not below.  Anyone?!

The point at which water freezes is called 32 F and 0 C. But 1.0 degree C =
1.8 degrees F. So... as you get colder and colder below 32 f or 0 C, the
Fahrenheit scale approaches the C and at -40, they are the same since 40 C
degrees equal 72 F degrees. So at -39 C, the F (at -38.2) has almost caught
up. At -40, F accelerates into the distance so that "absolute zero" while
only being -273.15 C is -459.67 F.

I hope you appreciate that I had to login to my gmail account just to answer
this question in as plain an English as I could ;-)

Erin