[lit-ideas] Re: Erin's Course Dilemma

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:49:31 +0100

On 17. Jan 2005, at 00:54, Richard Henninge wrote:

> I haven't had time to weigh in yet on the
> Ceres and Bacchus question you posed,
> but already from the responses and from
> a glance at the A.V. Miller translation you
> cited, I can see that there's a lot of fun to be
> had setting the ledger straight.

I was wondering whether to appeal to Richard on this one, and am glad=20
to read that he is at work on it.  That saves me from burdening the=20
list with a lot of second-rate stuff =85.

In anticipation, I urge the rest of you to turn to (your favourite=20
translation, if necessary, of) H=F6lderlin's 'Brot und Wein'.

(An aside of related interest:  Hegel, H=F6lderlin and Schelling were at=20=

one time roommates.  Imagine a 'Phenomenology of Spirit' of the=20
intellectual atmosphere in that 'Stube' =85.)

I'm glad I've tuned back in to Lit-Ideas just in time, and look forward=20=

to Richard on Hegel and H=F6lderlin.  (Another aside: I have come across=20=

not a few indications that there are those who hold  H=F6lderlin as =
*the*=20
German 'Geist'; regarding Hegel, Schelling, et al. merely as=20
'also-ran's =85.)

> =85 play your German card =85, that is, point out that
> a knowledge of the German reveals things unrevealed
> even to the translators, say, of Hegel, even to so astute
> an analyst as Derrida.

Yes - in exegesis knowledge of the language of the original text is=20
always trump. (To extend the metaphor in this case, H=F6lderlin plays =
the=20
role of right bower).  Show us the rest of your hand, Richard.  I fold.

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany
--=