[lit-ideas] Re: Eliot (and Oregon as Suburb)

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 18:49:51 -0700

on 6/4/05 4:34 PM, Robert Paul at robert.paul@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> 'Hazelnuts' is an effete, Eastern marketing name for what are really
> filberts.

I fear Robert has been getting at Mutton College's Faculty Claret ("Ol'
Sheep Dip" to the cognoscenti).

I quote from my trusty thirteenth Britannica:

The common hazel, Corylus Avellana, occurs throughout Europe, in North
Africa and in central and Russian Asia...[snip]...
The filbert, among the numerous varieties of Corylus Avellana, is
extensively cultivated, especially in Kent, for the sake of its nuts, which
are readily distinguished from cob-nuts by their ample involucre and greater
length.

Though from here it would clearly be east, I can see nothing effete about a
Kentish nut with ample involucre and considerable length.

Eric Yost (welcome back) wrote: What about American expats? More in Oregon,
I assume?

Indeed, the place is cluttered with them.  John McLoughlin, a Canadian
Irishman who convinced everyone he was a Scot, had a perfectly good Hudson
Bay Company thing going here.  The Scots had a sizeable presence among the
Astorians.  There was thus a good chance that we'd all end up governed by
sanctimonious God-fearers but what happens?  American ex-pats come wandering
along the route of I 84 and next thing you know... we're mostly American,
governed by sanctimonious God-fearers.

Please tell no one about our wine and other bounty.  Tell no one that we had
a feast last night at our house and there's another one hereabouts tonight
because my friend and I went out in a boat and brought home enough crab to
feed a multitude.

Oregon has a population of three hundred thousand people in a state the size
of France.  It must be the U.K.'s least populous suburb.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon