[lit-ideas] Re: Eliot (and Oregon as Suburb)

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 01:23:31 +0100

Monday, June 6, 2005, 12:52:25 AM, David Ritchie wrote:

DR> on 6/5/05 4:26 PM, Judy Evans at
DR> judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Sunday, June 5, 2005, 10:47:50 PM, Robert Paul wrote:
>>
>> RP> Vindication!
>>
>> RP> http://www.oda.state.or.us/information/AQ/AQFall99/07.html
>>

>>> Commission's name was changed to the Oregon Hazelnut Commission
>>> in 1994 to better position the Oregon Filbert in European markets
>>> where the nut was known as hazelnut.
>>
>> My mother taught me about filberts (the longer ones) and hazelnuts.
>> She probably learned it in the US. So perhaps you're growing filberts
>> and we're growing hazelnuts?
>>
>> I think this needs more research...

DR> Look again at what I wrote.

I replied to Robert's post.  I thought you and I basically agreed.

DR>What seems to have happened is that a subset name for
DR> hazelnuts persisted here and came to stand for all hazelnuts, while in
DR> Europe the subset name retreated and "hazelnuts" persisted.  Thus when
DR> Oregon nuts had to be sold to Old World Nutella eaters, they were re-named
DR> hazelnuts.

But in my little corner of Wales my US-born mother distinguished
between hazelnuts (the smaller rounder ones) and filberts.

DR>  Britannica says that filberts are a subset of
DR> the group hazelnuts,

so I assumed -- but Robert may not agree

DR>  latin name Corylus Avellana (strictly speaking that's
DR> the latin name for everything in the hazel family, whether or not it bears
DR> nuts).  Filberts used to be grown in Kent.  I didn't hear the name when
DR> growing up in Kent.

as I said....   (yes I found the Corys name; the tree I posted first
is named a Filbert, fyi)

DR>  What seems to have happened is that a subset name for
DR> hazelnuts persisted here and came to stand for all hazelnuts, while in
DR> Europe the subset name retreated and "hazelnuts" persisted.  Thus when
DR> Oregon nuts had to be sold to Old World Nutella eaters, they were re-named
DR> hazelnuts.

DR> Can you imagine Nutella being called a Chocolate Filbert Spread?

Can you imagine my mother calling a hazlenut a hazelnut hazelnut and a
filbert "a filbert hazelnut"?  -- but yes you can, because that would
be correct. What you can't imagine is that she talked to me about
hazelnuts and filberts.  Well whatever.

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx