[lit-ideas] Re: Eliot (and Oregon as Suburb)

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 23:34:53 -0700

on 6/4/05 8:27 PM, Robert Paul at robert.paul@xxxxxxxx wrote:

 who thinks that Dante was a Saxon poet,

> who lived near what is now Swindon, around 550 CE

of course, we all know that Dante took the B337 *past* Swindon and turned
left at the third roundabout or "circle of hell," as those wussy Italians
say...

Robert is puzzled by my statement that Oregon has a population of three
hundred thousand.  He's probably influenced by the fact that Portland is
about to have its famous Rose Festival, when about ten million sailors
descend on the city and breed vigorously.

But I stand by my figures, which were given to me by an old gentleman who
had lived in Harney County all of his life, and who believed that anyone who
hasn't had a steer stomp his goolies at least once, just doesn't count.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon