[lit-ideas] Re: Eliot (and Oregon as Suburb)

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 16:34:30 -0700

Andy Amago wrote:

> I would say that Oregon is also a suburb of Burgundy.  For wine lovers
> anway.  The climate is very similar to that Burgundy, meaning that
> Oregonian pinot noir is virtually indistinguishable from that grown in
> Burgundy.  Oregon also produces 97% of the hazelnut crop of the U.S.

It would be better to say that the Willamette Valley

http://www.biologydaily.com/biology/Willamette_Valley

is an extension of Burgundy; the climates of Eastern and Southern Oregon
are nothing like that of Burgundy. Southern Oregon produces some decent,
but not outstanding Cabernet.

http://www.avalonwine.com/Oregon-wine.htm

Wineries in the dry, rolling hills on both sides of the Columbian River,
at the eastern end of the Columbia River Gorge make some really good
Cabernet (e.g. Leonetti Cellar, in Washington), but forget trying to
find any in a shop.

http://www.leonetticellar.com/index.html

'Hazelnuts' is an effete, Eastern marketing name for what are really
filberts.

Robert Paul
30 minutes from Domaine Drouhin, etc.