[lit-ideas] Re: Einstein -Scene 2

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:48:47 -0500

I guess you answered the question.  He had nothing more to offer
scientifically after E=MC2 so he went into politics.  When I said he had no
room in his life for anything but physics, clearly I was talking about the
period leading up to his three papers in one year.  After that he burned
out and turned to good causes.  Either you're right, that once he was in
mainstream academia he lost his edge, or, more likely, it didn't matter how
he spent his day while he was hot and was simply burned out after his
insight.  I think he worked on a unified theory but got nowhere along with
everyone else.  Certainly his grandness of spirit matched his scientific
accomplishments.  No surprise that that's the part of him that is least
remembered.

Andy Amago

He fought against racism,