[lit-ideas] Re: Einstein

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:12:31 -0800

SCENE: Swiss Patent Office. A scruffy looking man is sitting with his feet up on a gray, steel desk. Einstein enters, stage right. His long hair is full of bits and pieces of what looks like dried kelp. He is wearing a tie-died T-shirt, predominately orange and blue.

MAN AT THE DESK: Wa’sup?

EINSTEIN: Wa’sup, man? Got any weed?

MAN; Al, don’t you think you ought to ease off on the dope? I mean, with a mind like yours and all? Recent studies show…

EINSTEIN: Right, Dude, my powerful mind. What do you think keeps this powerful mind going? That’s right, Colombian vitamins. So?

MAN: So, I got nothin’.

EINSTEIN: What’s in the drawer?

MAN: Nothin’. Buncha papers. Old rubber bands, paper clips. The detritus of a botched civilization. Usual shit.

EINSTEIN: Lemme see. [He walks behind the desk and opens a drawer, reaches into it and takes out small, drawstring packet.] What’s this, then?

MAN [grabbing Einstein’s arm]: Hands off! That’s my medicinal stash. [They wrestle for a few seconds. Einstein overpowers the man and holds the packet aloft. Deftly, he sprinkles a healthy amount of marijuana onto a strip of cigarette paper and rolls a fat joint.]

EINSTEIN: Got a light?

MAN: Here.

EINSTEIN [lighting his joint and inhaling deeply]: Not bad. [He passes the joint to the man. For several minutes they pass the joint back and forth.] You know what? I mean, you know, seriously, what? [The man giggles. Einstein starts to laugh.] S’really funny, really, really funny.]

MAN: Funny.

EINSTEIN: I forgot what? Wha’d I say?

MAN: What?

EINSTEIN: What? What’d I what? [They both laugh hysterically. Einstein begins to cough.] Powerful shit, man. More powerfuller than I think. Did think. I mean, aw, man. What I’d wanta know, like to know, is, like, what?

MAN: You the genius, man, not me.

EINSTEIN: Right, genius. [He breaks down laughing again.] Supposed to go in straight line, right?

MAN: Straight line. You got it.

EINSTEIN: It don’t. Doesn’t. S’more like an egg. [The man stops laughing. Einstein’s face lights up.] Dude, it curves.

MAN: Far out. I mean, you made that up yourself, right? Because you’re a genius. Hey, man, I knew it. I knew it. Genius talk. [He stands up. He and Einstein bump chests.] ‘Stockholm calling! Where can we deliver that prize check, already made out to Mr. A. Einstein in the amount of ten million Swiss francs?’

EINSTEIN: Yeah, I wish.

[They both sit down again. Einstein rolls another joint and they smoke in silence.]

MAN: You still read, what's that—Alien Physics?

EINSTEIN: Annalen der Physik?

MAN: Yeah.

EINSTEIN: Sometimes I do the crossword.

Trebor Laup
Author of Stockholm Calling! How to Prepare Your Nobel Acceptance Speech, in Five Simple Steps