[lit-ideas] Re: Einstein

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 01:14:30 EDT

In a message dated 10/29/2005 8:18:56 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I'm  disappointed in him, not in his accomplishments

Hi, Andy,
I'm also a bit perplexed here.

Why in the world would you be disappointed in someone's learning/creative
style. . . especially when it had the outcome that it did?

If you actually read all sorts of interesting thoughts on both learning and
creativity and how to get the most of what and who one is. (and you can on
the internet, even, if you don't like to go to the library and ask for some
titles on the topic)

What Einstein did is actually very critical. I'm not sure why you would be
disappointed in him...though I know a number of parents who are disappointed
when their kids learn by reading instead of hearing or by hearing instead of
reading.

(Or, like the article once in Fortune Magazine that I posted one talks  about
the bunch of CEOs who are all dyslexic and who were willing to be studied  by
the physicians at Yale doing a study on their brains. Sure--they all learned
to compensate for not using parts of their brains--and they all have had
those  in their companies who couldn't understand how they made decisions [they
are all  using a part of their brain that we regular folk are not] Many of
them,
I  suppose, had people in their lives who were 'disappointed' in them, too,
for not  learning as others did.)

People learn and create in all sorts of ways.  (I wish I was one of  the
people who got paid to go into the companies to assist with helping their  top
people learn how to be creative. Or, even, the top level companies who
actually
are doing innovative things [I was just reading about Koch Industries  the
other night] spend a lot of time/money/investment in their people to provide
the
synergy of many creative minds working on problems/creative energy/etc. in
order to let them have those opportunities to pool information and take lines
of  thought\inventions to new levels.

Instead of considering it 'obsessing' over a problem/puzzle, maybe you  could
soften that belief statement to something like
'determined/curious/dedicated/continuing despite difficulties/persistent.

If you think of him having those qualities, do you like him better?   (What
do you think a genius is? Someone who just wakes up someday and "knows"
something? or someone who ponders, mulls over, thoughtfully reflects, gets
other
opinions, collects data and sifts through it looking for new ways of thinking
about something, or ?)

I suppose you are also disappointed in Edison, too, right?  After all,  in
spite of his taking his inventions to new levels and so forth, he had gobs of
inventions which didn't pan out. He was constantly working on several ideas all
 at the same time--and though what worked, worked wonders, many of them did
not.  He, like Einstein, had persistence and curiousity, though.

Waiting for ten years from now when Andy will have taken Einstein's thought
to the next level (presuming he takes up his own challenge and has the
persistence to do it as well as the intelligence),
Marlena in Missouri