[lit-ideas] Re: Einstein

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 13:50:59 -0400

MC: and the best ones, like Einstein, come up with ways of looking at milennium-year-old problems from an entirely new viewpoint

I had a similar reaction to Andy's posting that he was disappointed in Einstein. True, Einstein had the Lorenz equations to work from, expressing the relationship between mass and speed-of-light. Yet Einstein's insight was something we can all admire.

My personal favorite is Archimedes. Without using zero, but using Greek letters instead, Archimedes developed a system of scientific notation. Less famously, Archimedes built the first planetarium and the first ocean liner sized vessel (a gigantic ship designed to bring the grain harvest from Egypt).

Which is just to get to this point. Anyone can criticize, blame, and find fault. It's more rare and more important to be able to praise. It's so hard to do new things, and it's so easy to be discouraged. Sometimes it seems like the natural course of society is toward discouragement, so those attainments and examples that pull away from discouragement are all the more to be treasured.